Welcome to the Montana Reentry Initiative Website!
The Montana Department of Corrections is dedicated to reducing the rate offenders return to incarceration by utilizing collaborative interagency partnerships and national best practices for reentry. Success for offenders means having stable housing and employment, effective treatment, positive personal relationships, family support and appropriate supervision that allows them to build productive, law-abiding lives. Success means fewer future victims, less crime and a safer Montana.
House Bill 68, the act establishing the statewide multiagency Reentry Taskforce outlines four responsibilities of the Department, in collaboration with the Taskforce:
- Examine and implement programs that will help bring community resources into prisons to support inmate reentry planning and preparation.
- Develop partnerships with and contract with community-based organizations that provide needed services to released inmates in areas such as mental health, chemical dependency, employment, housing, healthcare, faith-based services, parenting, relationship services, and victim impact panels.
- Coordinate with community restorative justice programs to ensure victim concerns and opportunities for restorative justice practices, including restitution, are considered during an offender's reentry.
- Collect data, conduct program evaluation, and develop findings and any recommendations about reentry and recidivism and include this information in an annual report to be made available to the Law and Justice Interim Committee.
Montana Reentry Initiative Task Force
- Director Mike Batista, Chairman, Department of Corrections
- Nancy Coopersmith, Office of Public Instruction
- Matt Dale, Department of Justice, restorative justice representative
- Kelly Lynch, Department of Commerce
- Dr. Gary Mihelish, NAMI, mental health advocate
- Tom Nielson, Department of Public Health & Human Services
- Steve Olson, Department of Labor and Industry
- Dr. Mark Pagano, University System
- Casey Schreiner, State Representative (HD22)
- Jason Smith, Governor's Director of Indian Affairs
- John Strandell, Department of Justice
- Derek VanLuchene, Ryan United, crime victims representative
- Moe Wosepka, Montana Catholic Conference, faith-based representative
Department of Corrections Technical Representatives
- Pam Bunke, Administrator, Adult Community Corrections
- Sam Casey, Reentry Manager
- Joan Daly, Warden, Montana Women’s Prison
- John Daugherty, Administrator, Information Technology
- Leroy Kirkegard, Warden, Montana State Prison
- Gayle Lambert, Administrator, Montana Correctional Enterprises
- Cindy McKenzie, Administrator, Youth Services
- Rhonda Schaffer, Administrator, Administrative and Financial Officer