Investigation Bureau Communication Plan
Recognizing the need for committed communication with staff members, department leadership delegated the development of communication plans for department bureaus. The Investigations Bureau plan will be evaluated periodically and updated as required to ensure good communication at all staff levels. The plan consists of the following actions:
- The bureau chief will schedule periodic meetings with bureau staff including:
- Bi-weekly individual meetings with direct reports to discuss status of assigned cases, workloads and other individual issues.
- Bi-weekly bureau meetings with all staff to discuss case status and deadlines, support needs, and provide other timely information.
- Quarterly staff meeting to plan and review bureau progress toward objectives.
- Organized within the Staff Services Division, the bureau chief will meet:
- Bi-weekly with the administrator one-on-one
- Quarterly with the administrator to report progress on bureau objectives and share information.
- The bureau chief will make a semi-annual presentation to the management team on investigation bureau cases, functions and any recommendations.
- The bureau chief will coordinate with staff to assure at least two articles on bureau-related activities or a topic of interest is contributed annually to the department newsletter, “Correctional Signpost.”
- Bureau staff will participate in twice-annual Staff Services Division staff meetings to share information on department and division objectives and activities, provide an opportunity for social interaction, and celebrate employee and department successes.
- Bureau staff members are encouraged to “walk-in,” schedule an individual meeting, or call the Bureau chief to report issues, ask for support, or express concerns.
- The bureau chief will update staff after each management team meeting to assure staff is aware of department issues, activities, and decisions. Important issues affecting the bureau will be communicated face-to-face rather than through other means.
- Bureau staff will use available technology such as conference calls, e-mail, Intranet, VisionNet and on-line meeting capabilities to assure appropriate information is shared throughout the bureau and department – up, down and lateral.
- Bureau staff will personally communicate bi-weekly with the MSP warden, the Powell County sheriff, and the Powell County attorney to share general information regarding cases investigated within their jurisdictions. Investigative information affecting institutional security or which may result in immediate media, political attention or unusual public scrutiny will be communicated promptly to each of these individuals as appropriate. When meetings are postponed or canceled, staff will email a limited update to include a request for a new meeting date.